Tomato pie, ahhh!!! It’s a Southern summer thang. It’s rich and decadent and it tastes like summer the way June bugs, lightning bugs and bare fee are summer.
I fell in love with tomato pie when I was a carb eater. There’s likely a little of the high fat version still padding my thighs!! Lol! When I went low carb, I figured that tomato pie was just a part of my sordid past. Our pasts have a way of catching up with us, and so that’s exactly how I came to create a low carb version of this delicious Southern classic.
The filling or pie innards are all low carb friendly, but it was the crust that presented the challenge. I needed a savory crust that would hold up to the moisture of the tomatoes. What to do? Hmm…cheese? A “thirsty” flour alternative? Yes to both and an egg for good measure. And then the innards…savory, creamy…a tomato sandwich filling without bread.
Enjoy a slice of this delicious Tomato Pie alongside a juicy, grilled burger or your choice of grilled meat. Be sure to slice the tomatoes in advance and let them drain on a paper towel to remove moisture and to avoid a soggy pie.
The slices will hold together best, if you let the pie cool at least 20-30 minutes before serving, but we know how hard this is!
We hope your family enjoys this recipe as much as we do. If you make my Southern Summer Tomato Pie, please tag me on social media. I’m @cookingketowithKristie on Instagram and you can tag me on my Facebook page, Simply Keto.
Kristie’s Southern Summer Tomato Pie
- 3/4 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/3 cup oat fiber or 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces Parmesan cheese grated (about 1 cup)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat coconut oil, ghee, or unsalted butter, softened.
- 5 large tomatoes peeled and sliced
- 1/3 cup cooked bacon chopped
- 1/3 cup onions finely slivered
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Make the crust: Mix together all the crust ingredients until they have a dough like consistency. Press into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Par-bake the crust for 15 minutes; allow to cool.
- Arrange the sliced tomatoes over the cooled crust. The slices should cover the crust and be about two slices deep. Sprinkle the bacon over the tomato slices, then top with onion slivers.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the mayonnaise and cheddar cheese. Spread the mayonnaise mixture over the tomatoes, bacon, and onions. Spread the mixture to the edges of the crust to “seal” the toppings. Sprinkle the basil and oregano over the top.
- Bake the pie for 30 to 40 minutes, until the topping is browned and bubbly. Let rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing and serving. Serve warm or cold.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Thanks for all the support we get from all of our fans on each of our channels. If you only follow us on one channel be sure and check out the others too. We have different content on each of them and hope you’ll join us for even more Keto fun.
Categories: Cooking Keto with Kristie, Recipes
How many servings/serving size?
The serving size is 12. Look across the top of the recipe, just above the ingredients list to see the number of servings.
I love this pie!! Made it 3 times already this summer!