For years I’ve wanted to make a German Chocolate Cake that was truly low carb, but the coconut, pecans, and cocoa powder pushed the total carb count much higher than I was comfortable eating in a dessert. Then came my Higher Protein Minute Muffins that have less than 5 grams of carbs for both muffins!
That makes a lot of things possible, including German Chocolate Cake that’s also low carb. I used two muffins, sliced each in half horizontally, and made them four layers tall. You could forgo slicing each minute muffin to make them two layers tall and use less filling and frosting to save a few carbs.
Last, if there’s a coconut hater in your family too, then you can half the filling, add coconut to one half and omit from the other. That filling is rich and delicious with or without the coconut.
German Chocolate Mini-Cake
- Two recipes of the Higher Protein Chocolate Minute Muffins. Word of Caution, I measure the recipe twice rather than doubling it. In other words, I use one bowl and two ramekins to make one recipe and then repeat. Sometimes doubling baked goods doesn't yield the best results.
Coconut and Pecan Filling
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar substitute
- 3 tablespoons granulated sweetener non erythritol less likely to be gritty when cool
- 1.5 ounces butter 3 tablespoons
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1 dash salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 ounces butter ¼ cup, melted but not hot
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons powdered sweetener
- 1/4 cup heavy cream may need more to thin to your desired consistency
- Use the higher protein minute muffin recipe to make two batches (4 minute muffins).
- Cool 5 minutes in the ramekins and then invert onto wire racks to cool completely.
- Slice each minute muffin in half horizontally to make 2 mini cakes with four layers or keep whole and make only 2 layer mini cakes.
Coconut and Pecan Layers
- Use a small, thick-bottomed saucepan to make the filling. Add the brown sugar sub, granulated sweetener, butter, egg yolk, cream, and salt and heat on low heat.
- Continue whisking or stirring on a low simmer for several minutes until the mixture reaches a minimum temperature of 160 and begins to thicken. Keep the heat low so that the egg yolk doesn’t cook.
- Remove the mixture from heat and stir in vanilla, nuts, and coconut. Allow to cool completely before assembling the cake.
- Do not refrigerate to accelerate cooling because the mixture may become too firm to spread. The filling will thicken as it cools.
- Use a small bowl to combine the melted butter, cocoa powder, and powdered sweetener with a whip attachment on a hand mixer or immersion blender. The volume may not be enough to use a stand mixer. The mixture will be thick.
- Pour in the cream and the vanilla extract and continue whipping until spreading consistency. If too thick, add a teaspoon of cream at a time until it reaches a desired consistency.
Assembling the Cakes
- To make four layers, slice two minute muffins (1 recipe) in half horizontally. For two layers, do not slice the muffins in half. Place one of the muffin rounds on a serving plate. A dessert plate works well for the mini cake.
- Smooth a thin layer of chocolate frosting over the layer. Top the chocolate layer with a generous teaspoon of the coconut filling, spreading it into a smooth layer. Avoid spreading it to the edge of the cake since it will spread as you create the next layer(s).
- Stack a second round on top. Repeat the chocolate and coconut layers. If making four layers, repeat with two remaining cakes.
- For the top layer, smooth the chocolate frosting over the entire cake with the top layer being very thin and the chocolate thicker on the sides.
- Spoon additional coconut filling in the center of the top of the cake.
- Repeat with the second recipe of higher protein mini-muffins (two remaining muffins).
Categories: Higher Protein Keto Recipes
This is so so yummy!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was blown away especially by your recipe for the chocolate frosting! Reminded me so much of the sugar laden frosting from the store, but healthy!!!!!