Cottage cheese ice cream? Hear me out! Even if you don’t love cottage cheese, you might really like this high protein ice cream, especially if you like cheesecake.
The cottage cheese is blended until smooth. When combined with the other ingredients, it makes a wonderful, creamy high protein ice cream that tastes like cheesecake. The carbs are low enough that you can add a few chopped berries just before serving.
If you don’t have an ice cream maker, be sure to blend the mixture until frothy to whip air into it before freezing. Also, use a sweetener like allulose or xylitol that doesn’t freeze as hard. You might also want to stir it occasionally to help the texture when frozen.
I made it in my Cuisnart Ice cream freezer that also has a compressor freezer.
Cottage Cheese Ice Cream (higher protein)
- 12 ounces 2% Good Culture Cottage Cheese
- 8 ounces 2% Fairlife lactose-free milk OR alternative (see notes)
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sweetener (see notes)
- 2 ounces heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Mix all ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth. If you’re uncomfortable eating raw eggs, then you can heat the mixture, stirring constantly until it reaches a temperature of 145°F. Let cool to room temperature before processing in an ice cream maker.
- If you use pasteurized eggs or are comfortable eating uncooked eggs, feel free to place the blended ingredients in an ice cream maker and use without heating.
- Follow the instructions on your ice cream maker to finish making the ice cream.