Perhaps even more than pancakes, I associate creamy sausage gravy with a decadent breakfast. It’s rich and thick and full of fatty protein. The instant coffee in this recipe is optional, but it gives the gravy a richer, deeper flavor.
Without flour, this gravy is actually very low in carbs! I love that I can eat foods like this and lose weight. While there are low-carb biscuit options, many are higher in carbs than I prefer. As you’re getting started on keto, it may be better
to serve this gravy over scrambled eggs or even a side of sausage.
Sausage Gravy and Eggs
- 1 pound breakfast sausage cooked and crumbled
- 6 ounces cream cheese 3/4 cup
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup beef bone broth homemade or store-bought
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon instant coffee optional
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage until well browned and crumbled. Reduce the heat to low, then add the cream cheese and stir until melted. Stir in the cream and broth.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir until the gravy comes to a simmer. Simmer for a few minutes to thicken the gravy before serving.
- Serve over two eggs cooked your way.
By the way, this gravy is only the beginning! It’s creamy and rich and filling and you can pair it with most any meat with just a few tweaks. Using cream cheese and heavy cream as a base, the combinations are endless. For another breakfast idea, use bacon instead of sausage. Country ham or chipped beef would also work well. And, if you can’t make the biscuits, this gravy would be scrumptious with eggs.
For more about the biscuits, watch my video!